15 years ago was my last time celebrating Songkran festival. Why?
- it was super hot during Songkran festival. The temperature was sometimes over 40c. Imagine, we are all day with this temperature outside.
- I am coming from a country side, people celebrate Songkran using Pickup car. How? We sat on the pickup truck and we had a huge water container with water inside. The driver drove the car around several villages so we could pour water to many people. Many times, drivers (not ours) drank alcohols. So there were a lot of accidents during Songkran. My parents did not want me to celebrate Songkran because of that.
- At that time, people used powder and put power to the cheeks of others. It is actually nice but some men took advantage of it. They touch cheeks of girls or even other parts of body.
- Songkran is in April and this is a summer vacation and I need to prepare for schools in order to get a good grade. Education in Thailand is a very interesting topic as well.
- I was abroad
So, this year, when we moved to Thailand and my husband never ever celebrated Songkran festival. Songkran festival is the must-do thing ever in Thailand! So we need to celebrate Songkran although I was a bit worried.
But this is what has turned out:
It was amazing and the problem I have above are gone!
- It was hot but there were a lot of temples that you can go and pouring water to Buddha statue. You can get energy back there.
- Chiang Mai city center is not that big so we went around by foot. We did not have any accidents
- Powder was prohibited.
- I finished my study
- I am in Chiang Mai
What we have done during Songkran? We went to ‘Phra Singh’ temple. A lot of Thais go there as there are some ceremonies such as building a sand pile, pouring water to the Buddha etc.
What I like the most is that there was a parade of temples. 49 Parades were from different institutions. Each will carry their Buddha statue. So that people can pouring water to the statue. It is a good thing for Thais if you pour many buddhist statues. It was so good and I am proud that I can show my husband a traditional way to celebrate Songkran.
Conclusion: See you again next year Songkran!